Wednesday, May 7, 2008

intern at hatch

I am always so intrigued by Berley's work. She gets to design restaurants as her job and I never realized how much thought went into all the details. It is really very interesting to hear her talk about her work and I can tell that she really enjoys what she does. Now, I know that I have no artistic or creative ability in this area; even though you may think I should, given that my dad is an architect and my mom is the artsiest, craftiest person that I know. Regardless, I was very excited when Hatch, Kim's work, took me on as an intern. Despite the fact that I was just their little monkey-boy, who ran errands and acted like their little slave, I got to soak in all the creative juices that were flowing and learn more about the interior design world.

My first day there, they were in the middle of their own remodel. The office was gutted and there were make-shift cubicles around the perimeter. Mine was right next to the front door, so I got to see everyone coming and going. In the middle of the office there was a smoothie bar that sold delicious, fresh-fruit smoothies for $10, but curiously they only had guava and durian. Don't ask me why I tried the durian smoothie, because I basically think that it tastes more like meat than fruit, but I did and definitely did not enjoy it. As I was gagging down my smoothie, Kim brought an art piece over for me to look at. It was for an installation in one of the restaurants that she was working on. The piece was a glove that was hand painted and mounted on a stand, but the odd part about it was that each individual fiber was painted a different color and there were frayed threads all over it. As I leaned closer, I realized that a tug of one of the threads changed the color and overall look of the whole piece. It was enthralling and mesmerizing. I stared and played with this glove for a good ten minutes, getting sucked into to and played in the psychedelic world that it created around me. I was slapped back to reality when Kim, snatched the glove from me and told me to get to work.

After my shift had ended, I walked to a house in the Port streets. There was an outdoor shower with glass walls around it, so I proceeded to undress and take a shower. I saw people walking down the street as I showered, but it did not seem to phase them or me. Rich came running down the street full speed and then slid on his okole on the asphalt like some cartoon character. He would skip/jump off the curb that each driveway created (there were nine total, I counted) and when he got to the end of the block, he would jump up and flick the birds the were perched on the street sign, off the sign. Then he would run back up the street and come sliding down, doing it all over again. I saw CD Clayton come out of the fourth house down and watch Rich as well. He shrugged his shoulders and went back inside. I followed his cue and did the same, leaving Rich to his own merriment.

9 comments:

KImBerlEy said...

I am just as intrigued by what you do for work as you are by my field of work. And that means that we are very intrigueing people with cool jobs. Go us!
By the way, you can come and intern at hatch any day...we need some more testosterone.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

or are we just the type of people that are driven enough to find jobs doing what we know we love and those jobs just happen to be in fields that are exciting? i think both and agree with what you said. go us!
i would love to come intern, but am afraid because it seems like every male that you work with has come out (not that that could EVER happen to me EVER), but i guess it would be a lot like my dance classes at UCI, where it was all girls and gay guys ... no competition, sa-weet!

tutu lady said...

Hi Beek, just checkin' in, haven't seen you in awhile. I had a Durian shake and it wasn't bad, didn't even taste like meat. But your dad's Jackfruit shake was gaggy! You should stick with the guava.

mahina said...

don't even know what durian is?! that shower kind of reminds me of the picture i got on email of the bathroom in the middle of some european street that was all glass. from the inside you can see out but the outside cannot see in! i think it would be unnerving to use that bathroom and the shower in your dream!

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

@mahina: i've totally seen that picture before .. but in my dream, you could see in and out

Malia said...

Hmmm.. i've seen that picture too... you should also check out on youtube somtime japanese pranks.. theres one where people go into these public bathrooms that are rigged and they elevate out so they are in the open. or other random ones too.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

@malia: those are soo funny .. like the ones where they get launched out on the ski slopes on a lazy boy sled naked! 555! but the best show is still MXC!

lydia said...

a couple of thoughts on this one...

are you the type of person that is good at almost everything you try? Maybe you would be a better interior designer than you think...even if you're not gay (yet)

and were you trippin when you went to sleep? that whole glove sequence was pretty...uh...druggie-ish. glad you enjoyed it and you probably didn't even have any repercussions in the morning.

Durian shake? I just had mango pie. I know, not the same thing. Do you really think durian tastes like meat? I gained 15 lbs as a greenie and the thais told me it was all the durian I ate.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

@lydia: hardy-har-har .. "yet" .. ur VERY funny! also, i don't think that i am good at everything i try, but i am definitely a solid OK at everything i try ...