Tuesday, May 13, 2008

three jobs keeping me busy

Back when I first started working in a real, grown-up job, I was also offered a job to coach University High School's girls water polo team. I would absolutely love to coach water polo, but found that it was very difficult to work out my schedule to allow me to do so. However, I decided that I would do it anyway without telling Green Street. This worked well for a while and I thought that if I can fit in one additional job, in the morning before work, I could fit two just as easily. So, I got a job cleaning the house of some very wealthy person living in Newport Coast. Sure, I was tired, but being busy is something that I love.

One morning, the water polo team that i coached had a game against some other high school and we were favored to win by a large margin. As the game progressed my girls forgot all the fundamentals and were just getting run over by the other team. I was getting so upset that they were doing so poorly that I started kicking chairs and yelling at the girls. Never in my semi-professional career had I ever seen anyone play so poorly. They were definitely swimming a mile butterfly after this game. After a disappointing performance and a terrible loss, the stands cleared out and I paced the pool deck while my girls swam. Every puddle that I stepped in, splashing up on my khakis made me even more upset with them. However, the softer side of me began to appeal and I started to feel sorry for my team and stopped their swim. I asked them to think about what had gone wrong and what we could do to play better next time. Everyone left that morning with a better feeling than we had previously and we all knew the action that needed to be taken.

I left the pool deck and headed over to my second secret housing-cleaning job. There was a sauna on the side of the house that I would use as my entrance. I would climb on the roof and enter the sauna; then from there, walk inside the house. I found the rich housewife drinking wine for breakfast and got to work. As I was cleaning the upstairs, people kept coming in and out of the house, tracking dirt around. I had to re-clean everything and when I finally got it all done, I was late for work. Not only was I late, but I also couldn't find my shoes. I remember taking them off when cleaning the upstairs bathroom, but no matter how I searched I just could not find them. After searching frantically, guess who was gnawing on my shoes, but the stupid, mangy dog. I left and showed up at Green Street late with Kao greeting me, saying, "Umm, where have you been and where are your shoes?" I guess I can't get away with secretly holding three jobs.

5 comments:

mahina said...

how annoying to have people tracking dirt in where you had already cleaned! that would infuriate me! how rude!

i could totally see you as a water polo coach, the only problem would be that every one of your girls would have a terrible crush on you!!

just stick to one job and give it your all!

tutu lady said...

You can clean my house anytime. Dad will pay you well and we'll never make you late for your other 2 jobs.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

@mom: how about during the summer i work on clearing out the garage and i do it pro bono?

lydia said...

how much of this is true? did you really work as a water polo coach or a cleaning man? (the temptation to say cleaning lady almost overcame me)

oh, and I checked the other blog, certain there would be more to the story with the rich housewife....nada. oh well.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

@lydia: you WOULD think that wouldn't you? and i have never coached (though i was offered the job) and i am not a cleaning lady ;)