Thursday, June 12, 2008

foray into architectural art

I hate being late for class. I hate being late for anything. I always try to show up places early, but this particular day I just could not make it on time. I had an architectural art class that was located in the back "shop" area of an architectural firm. Usually, we walk through the front reception area to the back shop. I like to talk to the cute receptionists, but today there was just no time to do that. I went around the side of the building, to enter the back door, past all the heavy machinery and joined the group in looking at something our instructor was demonstrating. I took my place right next to Charity.

The instructor directed our attention to the ground, where he had a tiled layout. The tiles were all semi-wishbone shaped, but a little fatter. Then he showed us some mathematical formulas, with the tiles sketched out. There were fulcrums and degrees, with lengths and measurements. Then, as we watched the tiles, half began to rotate in unison, then they would stop and the other half would rotate. I could not understand how they all spun together because at no point in their rotation, was there any empty space between tiles. All the students were in awe and the instructor just stood there smiling. Charity, always having to be the smart one, started explaining how this was possible because of the alternating rotations and specific degrees, throwing in some Calculus jargon. I called her out on some of it that could not be true, citing the Pythagorean theorem. She countered by reciting pi to the 38th decimal and I shot back with Bayes theorem. Charity hit me with Markovitz, so I got her back with McCallum. The class and the instructor stood in complete wonderment at our sheer genius when we concluded that the debate had ended in a stalemate and that we were both right. We were much to smart for this class, so we left to start our own architectural art firm, but first went to discuss the details over some caramels.

4 comments:

charity said...

i'm so confused.

was this a dream?

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

wow, you finally found this post that you were in! yay you!

go back and read my first post: http://sawinglogzzz.blogspot.com/2008/03/dream-master-of-universe_01.html

charity said...

I google myself every now and then just to make sure i'm flying under the radar (as much as i can control) that's how i found this. very detailed. very quirky. i'm glad your subconscious thinks i'm smart :).

i don't surf for reals, just on the internet when i'm bored at work. alas.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

you should really take up wave surfing .. i hear it burns more calories than internet surfing and it much more rewarding!