Wednesday, April 23, 2008

and i ate

Don’t you love General Conference? It gives us the opportunity to listen to those called and inspired of God to direct us in our own lives. After last Saturday’s morning session ended I flipped the channel and found that “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” was on. As I was sitting watching the Grinch carve the roast beast near the end, Elder Russell M. Nelson walked into my house! Imagine that; an apostle of the Lord in my own home. As he walked toward me, “I am Ironman!” began filling the room as some sort of theme song. I was speechless, yet ready to be filled; and feed me he did.

Elder Nelson turned to the movie, reached into my television set, and pulled out a slice of roast beast that the Grinch was cutting. Good thing our television is not a flat screen, but rather one of the older tube TVs because otherwise there would not be enough room for all that roast beast. As he took out the slab of meat, Elder Nelson remarked how ham smells so much better than roast beast, so he waved his hand over the plate and the meat transformed to ham. He handed it to me and said, “Eat.”

And so, I did eat. With each slice that I cut for myself, Elder Nelson would recite a separate commandment and with each recitation, the words of that commandment were seared onto the slice of ham. As I ate each new piece of meat with the words seared upon it, those words became a part of me and I had a new found desire to live that part of the gospel. As I finished the final wedge and looked up, Elder Nelson smiled down at me and saying nothing, turned and walked out of my home, leaving me to ponder those strange events.

10 comments:

lydia said...

I have two interpretations for this one, you'll have to let me know which one is more accurate.

I think you would like it to be easier to have the commandments become a part of you. Kind of like the Moses' staff, "Look to God and live," you were going to "eat this ham and live." But hey, you did eat, which is more than most of those Hebrews did in the real situation.

Either that or you really felt a physical change come with your spiritual change after last Conference. Is there any reason it was Elder Nelson?

Oh, and I think it's Roast Beast in the Grinch. But I could be wrong.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

thank you for the correction .. it has been changed (i didn't look it up, but i have a feeling that you are correct)

as far as the dream goes .. i am not really sure .. maybe i was just really hungry?? i don't think there was an actual physical change that i felt and there wasn't a particular reason for it being Elder Nelson; and i'm not even sure that i would like it to be easier to have the commandments become a part of me because then i wouldn't grow as much .. maybe i was just being told that i needed to do some things differently in my life ...

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

yes, i think that the key is him leaving me to ponder .. or to rethink things in my life ... ???

tutu lady said...

Verrrrry Interesssssssting! I think you dreamed Elder Nelson because I told you about seeing him at the San Leandro Stake Conf, (Oakland temple) last month.

Sherri said...

Kawika...this WAS a good one. Email me about your trip. sam@mirejovsky.com

Malia said...

Pretty crazy! Don't you wish we really could reach into tv's and pull out whatever food they were eating sometimes! And yes... you should definitely forget the flatscreen and keep the big fatty if for that reason alone!

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

@malia: just in case they come out with that technology, right?

charity said...

thanks for the link. i'll have to check it out!

KImBerlEy said...

Your dreams never cease to surprise me. I like finding connections between them and your actual life.
I had a dream when I was in high school about Pres. Hinckley. He came into my parents house and was telling my nieces and nephews to be nice to me...for some reason they were making me cry. I woke up to my sister asking me if I was okay...because I was literally crying in my sleep.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

@kim: do you have crying dreams as a release of emotion like i do? maybe your life is just waay to happy all the time and you just needed a good cry!