Friday, April 18, 2008

parasites in the closet

So, my dad has a mild case of pack-ratitis. I don’t know where I got my genes from, but I like nothing better than throwing out old crap. In my home I love order and I am a fan of minimalistic style. Recently, I redid my parents’ living room in order to rid it of all the clutter and have been meaning to do the same to help my dad in his office and closet, and especially in the garage. So, you can imagine my surprise when I awoke yesterday morning and while walking bleary eyed into my dad’s closet, discovered that there was absolutely nothing inside. It was completely devoid of clothes, boxes, junk, hangers, shoes, models, and whatever else would normally be found in there. The shelves were all empty, all his things were missing, and oddly enough my clothes were gone from the single bar that I typically occupy. I was so happy that it was so barren and clean despite the fact that my clothes were missing. I simply thought, what a great way to start fresh and stay organized.

I was indeed happy for him, but as my brain slowly awoke, I realized that I would have to go to work naked that day. I walked upstairs to inquire of my dad as to the whereabouts of my personal effects and he was distraught that I had been in the closet. You see, they (and I don’t know who “they” are) discovered an incredibly dangerous parasite living in my dad’s closet and the only way to rid the closet of this deadly microorganism was to take everything out and burn it. We are not supposed to go back into the closet for a good deal of time for fear of this parasite latching on and literally sucking the life out of us.

I am not sure how much longer I must go without clothes, but I certainly hope that this parasite is not living inside of me right now. I wonder: how much longer I have to live?

7 comments:

Malia said...

Hah! I guess that means some of my stuff might be missing as well?!? Good luck with getting rid of the parasite! Oh and you can always go up to moms closet and wear some of her clothes! I'm sure you would look great!

tutu lady said...

Hmmmmm, that's not a dream. That's a fantasy. If only! We haven't seen the floor of that "walk-in" closet for 5 years. I think Gavan and Mahina may still have stuff in there.

mahina said...

do i still have stuff in there? i wouldn't know, but it is very possible! i must have gotten the same genes as you did because i despise clutter! unfortunately my other half doesn't feel as strongly about it as i do!

lydia said...

Maybe it's a generational thing....my mom is a terrible packrat and I have the tendency to get rid of things TOO quickly sometimes.

You know what? Ever since you started this blog I have paid more attention too (and therefore remembered) more of my dreams...
for example, the other day I dreamed that I was a British spy in WWI and ending the war hinged upon getting some information out of Napoleon (I know, not historically accurate). So they sent me to "get to know him" because I was the best of the best.

Because I was a new mother and still nursing my baby I had to take her along. When Napoleon walked in on me nursing her, he told me he would tell me anything I wanted to know if I would just let him suckle from my breast.

I was a hailed as a hero.

lydia said...

My deepest apologies for my gross grammatical inaccuracy.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

lydia - i definitely agree on the generational thing, because i have talked to a lot of people about these things before .. where the older generation was taught their entire lives to keep, reuse, and save because things weren't as easy to come by back then, etc.

great dream too! i bet the best part was that he didn't even have to stoop down to do it!

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

p.s. apology accepted ;D after all, you are a hero ...