Saturday, April 5, 2008

i never reveal my sources

Back in October (but officially in December), I was promoted to a Senior Associate at work. I feel so lucky to have found a job that I absolutely love, working with people that I genuinely enjoy being around; not to mention the great opportunities and speedy career path. Along with this promotion, I was given the opportunity to accept a position in the finance side of the firm. My job would be split: ½ finance, ½ technology; and of course I leapt at the chance! So, now my new mentor on the finance side is Peter Rothemund, who is probably the smartest finance mind in the US, and that is not an exaggeration. So, not only do I have the best job in the best city with the best co-workers and the best opportunities, I also am able to work with the brightest minds that this industry has to offer.

When at work, if I ever have questions, I always turn to my mentor Peter. He directs me to the particular model that I need and explains the financial concepts behind them, or he shows me which website I need to go to in order to get the information. There was one particular data request from a client that needed a historical record of housing prices in the US. I knew what site I needed to go to in order to pull down the data, but could not figure out exactly what data was being used for this request. I went into Peter’s office and asked him about the data and where it could be found and he looked up at me with a grimace and said, “Sorry. I never reveal my sources.”

10 comments:

lydia said...

Wait. Hold the phone. Was that a dream? Seemed more like the conformist approach at mass life updating.

Funny though, either way.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

it was actually a dream .. but i had to give the background in order for it to make sense to the masses ;-P

Rebecca Waldron said...

Why is Peter so secretive about the history of housing prices in the US. I MUST KNOW! Go back to sleep and force the information from him and then tell me.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

i'll try, but i have such a back log of dreams that you may have to wait a while before it gets up here!

Nakki said...

So you're blog is all about dreams that you have, not like: "I'm gonna surf with Kelly Slater" or something type? No? I'm confused, but glad the same that you have a blog.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

you should try reading it from the first post (bottom up) .. it'd make a little more sense that way

mahina said...

i thought you were pulling away from the dream blog for a moment there!

Malia said...

didn't get much sleep this night? That dream was much shorter than the others... but I thouroughly enjoyed it all the same!

Kristin Pettingill said...

Peter should work for the CIA. Or does he? We'll never know.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

i should follow him on the weekends