Tuesday, April 22, 2008

rollercoasters, but not quite death

I absolutely love rollercoasters. Amusement parks like Magic Mountain are honestly my favorite places to go other than the beach. The thrill and the adrenaline that get me going help me to experience highs that I feed off of. Recently I was able to go to just an amusement park to get my fill of rollercoasters with Jessica Sorenson, but it wasn’t like any that I have ever been to. After waiting in line for Viper for what seemed like forever and a day, we finally got up to the front. It was a little odd that each rider had to check in at a front reception desk before allowed to go through the gate to the actual ride and even odder still that once we checked in, the receptionist told us that we needed to go downstairs to make our own parachutes before we were allowed on the ride. So, why is it that we need parachutes again? Jessica was a little reluctant to ride such a ride, but I assured her that they wouldn’t let us go on the ride with homemade parachutes unless it was safe. Um, right?

We went down the stairs and found ourselves in the basement of my fraternity house. I saw all of my brothers’ “decorations” strew about and we started sifting through their messy rooms looking for suitable, parachutable materials. Since there was a heaping pile of dirty laundry and blankets in the middle of the floor, this was the obvious choice in order to make safe parachutes. I had no idea what I was doing, so I shoved the entire pile toward Jess and got her some dental floss to stitch it all together. In a whirlwind of scissors cutting, scraps of shirts and blankets flying, and dental flossed, needle-threaded stitching, our parachutes started turning out pretty nice. Within minutes our parachutes were ready and I was feeling pretty confident about riding this new rollercoaster. Jessbugs on the other hand, was not. I kind of recall something about listening to women because they have better judgement, but can’t really remember the exact quote right now, so I will not relate it.

Either way, Bugs and I headed back upstairs to get on the ride. We were about to walk through the gate when the park manager stopped us. He told us that they had just closed the ride and were not going to be reopening it for a very long time. Something about having an “accident,” decapitation, broken bones, and death; I think. Jess let out a huge sigh of relief and I was totally bummed. She was glad that we were not on that last run and I was visibly upset that we didn’t make the last run. I mean, not everyone died on that last run, so we probably would have been fine and would have gotten to ride the rollercoaster before they closed it down for good. Besides, what better stories and bragging rights than to have ridden Viper on the very last run ever? She could tell that I wasn’t happy that we had to wait in line for so long without me getting my adrenaline kick and knew that the only thing to make me feel better, because it always does, was food. So Jess, being the kind and loving person that she is, took me to the snack bar to treat me to some of that delicious amusement park lemonade. It did make me feel a little better, but I sure wished I could have ridden Viper one last time.

14 comments:

Malia said...

aww... yeah thats sad you didnt get to go on that final ride... but im glad you made it out of that dream alive!

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

i know! seriously .. i wanted to parachute off a ride .. that would be cool!

mahina said...

i remember on senior ditch day, a bunch of my friends and i went on viper! i had been on it several times before, but this last time was really weird! i think it was on the first or maybe the second loop, i totally blacked out! it freaked me! i couldn't see anything, but i could hear everyone's screams which sounded like it was in a can!

the rest of the day i was nauseous and just didn't feel right! that was my last trip to magic mountain.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

i remember you telling me that story .. did anyone get decapitated?

Rebecca Waldron said...

Bummer! You didn't even get to use your parachutes made from dirty frat boy laundry and dental floss! Those totally would have saved your life.

You have a cool brain.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

becky: shhh .. if you say that too loud it is only going to get bigger .. errr ... nevermind

lydia said...

I like to look at the labels you give to your dreams, as I can only imagine you have (or think you may have someday) other dreams about these same elements.

Do you have reoccurring dreams? I used to have one where a wolf (more specifically the wolf from The Neverending Story) would corner me in a garage and I would find a hole in the ground to jump through and escape. I would fall for about 100 feet but land on a trampoline and them be surrounded by clowns.

This dream would always begin and end differently, but that part worked its way in often during my jr. high and high school days.

p.s. Clowns freak me out way more than wolves.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

that had to be the funniest thing that i have read all day! .. and yes there are certain reoccurring subjects in my dreams .. but they are few and far between due to the shear variety that i encounter each morning ...

p.s. there have already been 2 dreams each with tags of: dad, mission, and parachute!

GiRlyGaL said...

HAHAHAHA!!!! Wow BEEK, sounds like a crazy bummer of a dream, too bad you didnt go on the ride.....but hey you got some leamonade;)

charity said...

thanks for commenting on my blog. can i ask who this is?

tutu lady said...

do you remember your 10 birthday party at Disneyland, when you would not ride Splash Mountain with the rest of your guests and waited at the Exit for us? You didn't like the stomach dropping feeling. Good dream. Funny!

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

thanks mom ! i can always count on you to bring up embarrassing stories in public forums ;-D

KImBerlEy said...

555! And you said you would go sky diving with me?? Baby steps Beek. Let's ride splash mountain a few times to "get your feet wet" - then we'll talk about sky diving

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

@kim: MY FEET ARE WET! let's go sky diving!